Digital Mammography – About Us
Baptist Health Care offers the most advanced equipment available for digital mammography, Hologic Selenia Dimensions, at four convenient locations:
Digital mammography delivers high-quality, reliable images while improving patient comfort and reducing procedure time. At Baptist locations, mammograms are provided by the experienced, caring mammography suite staff. Our team is specially trained to guide women through their mammogram experience with compassion and assurance.
In addition to unparalleled digital technology available at four regional locations, Baptist Health Care is the first in our area to offer breast tomosynthesis, or 3-D digital mammography. 3-D images reveal the inner architecture of the breast to allow clearer, more precise images of abnormalities earlier, when breast cancer is most treatable. 3-D digital mammography is available at Baptist and Gulf Breeze hospitals and Baptist Medical Park – Nine Mile.
One in eight American women will develop breast cancer sometime in her lifetime. When detected and treated early, the chance for cure is nearly 100 percent. The American Cancer Society recommends that all women 40 years of age and older have a screening mammogram every year, in association with an annual clinical breast examination and monthly breast self-exam.
Digital Mammography – e-Reminders:
If you’re a woman over age 40, use our Mammography e-Reminder to schedule your reminder. We’ll send you an e-reminder when it’s time for your next mammogram.
Digital Mammography – Mammography Facts:
- Mammography is a low-dose x-ray examination that can detect breast cancer up to two years before it is large enough to be felt.
- Mammography is the single most effective method of early detection.
- Screening mammography is an x-ray examination of the breasts with no known breast problems.
- Diagnostic mammography is an x-ray examination of the breast(s) with a known problem such as a lump, pain, nipple discharge or thickening, or any unusual changes in the breasts.
- A diagnostic mammogram involves various images of the breasts to rule-out breast cancer or clarify a suspicious area of the breast.
- On average, mammography will detect about 80% - 90% of breast cancers in women without symptoms.
- Women over age 40 should have an annual mammogram.